Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bloom where you are Planted Glass Block Light


New glass block light design.

I am starting to work with the girls at Pace to make some items for a fund raising event. I had this glass block sitting around from last year, and decided to try and find an uplifting message. Since Pace is a program which helps at risk girls "bloom" and succeed in their lives, I thought this message might be appropriate.

I found this cute flower girl and converted her into a vinyl cutout too. The butterflies have too much detail to weed, so I am going to find some better ones
(I know you only see one butterfly, because the other one was even smaller, and had to be destroyed before I lost my sanity.)

I'll post my file when I am done fixing things.

 This glass block was purchased at Hobby lobby and has a rectangular door in the bottom. They often have them half off(they are included in their glass item sales). If you don't find them precut, you have to buy a special diamond tipped drill bit and slowly drill, keeping the area moist, to prevent breaking and overheating. Wear goggles. I hope I can get my dad to drill some blocks for us to use at Pace! Last year Lowes got the predrilled lights in different colors(like red and green) at Christmas time. They may have this years Christmas stock out already, I haven't been in lately!

 I just put in a single night light. Other people use white christmas lights(small sets). I also put in a square of velum to make it opaque and hide the light cord.

I used some vinyl transfer paper and it was easy to put my design on the block. I also didn't cut the vinyl all the way through, leaving the paper backing uncut. My pressure was set to medium.

If you search for lights at the top of my blog, you will find other glass block examples, as well as my idea for how to make them change with the season.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive