Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Making Personalized Candles

I bought a 3 inch tall (larger than a votive) candle from Dollar Tree. I printed my image on tissue paper. How did I do that ?  I used the same spray we use to make the cricut mats sticky again(reposiitionable adhesive) to make a piece of card stock sticky. Then I pressed on a sheet of 8.5x11 tissue paper. I was able to feed this into the printer. I used the quick print mode on my printer which uses less ink and therefore, doesn't soak the tissue paper.My paper happened to have little pieces of glitter embedded in it. It still prints fine and looks great when applied to the candle.

 How did I apply it to the candle? Decoupage, glue, NOOOOO!

 Just used my embossing heat gun to melt the wax slightly. I used some straight pins to hold on the tissue paper design. Then i blasted it with the heat gun about ten seconds. Removed the pins, and the wax had soaked into the tissue paper, making the tissue paper firmly adhere to the candle. SInce there are no added flammable liquids, the candle will still burn fine.

This is an easy way to make some nice wedding favors. A special gift for the bride and groom. I was thinking of getting a larger candle, and putting the text from their wedding invitation on one side of the candle, and their picture on the other.

I know this isn't really a Cricut craft, but I thought you might like the idea anyway.

People also print their photos on tissue paper and apply the paper to tiles. I believe you need a fixative spray, as the decoupage will make the ink jet printer printouts run. I see Krylon clear acrylic spray mentioned. Inkjet Water-Slide Model Decal Paper


Here is another way to decorate tiles, candles, soap, etc.

Create your very own water slide decals, using your inkjet printer with our inkjet water-slide decal paper.

Turn your very own custom designs into decals, using this very easy to use inkjet decal paper.

These decals may be applied onto almost any smooth, non-porous surface.


http://www.water-decals.com/inkjet_paper.html

I haven't had a need to make these, but you could make some great glass Christmas ornaments...make one for your hairdresser with an appropraite saying and image, some for the teachers, etc. Just print out your designs on the special paper and apply. Just like we do with vinyl, only now you can have images too.

By the way, I originally saw these being done with stamps. Stamp image on tissue paper, color, apply in the same way. I rather just print an image, but if you want a portable project, stamps are the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive